2018 Service User Survey Results

We are pleased to be able to present the results from our 2018 Service User survey. The survey was conducted between 10th February and 15th May was promoted at our Open Day, through our social media channels and in our centre. The survey was available in paper and online, with support to complete it where required. We had 65 responses- which represents 53% of people who have used our services in the last year- a fantastic response.

Here are our key findings: 

Demographics –The gender split was even, 45% of our responders were aged 50+ and the most common reported condition was Facioscapulohumeral (FSH), although 10 different types of MD were reported.

Attendance- 47% of those surveyed attend the centre fortnightly, rising to 86% attending every month, showing that, for those surveyed, we are able to provide regular appointments.

Transport –100% of responders get to the centre by car- perhaps unsurprising due to the nature of the condition and Centre’s relative inaccessibility by public transport.

Therapies- Of those who receive Physiotherapy, Osteopathy and Hydrotherapy, 100% said it was either somewhat or very beneficial

Wellbeing- When asked about the impact the MD support centre has on wellbeing, people responded positively, 86% said it improves their self-confidence, 90% said it improves their feeling of being in control and 80% said it improves their knowledge.

When asked about the impact the MD Support Centre has on their every day life- the biggest impact was on people’s ability to understand and manage their condition confidently, but for many service users they are able to do more with family and friends, have holidays, drive a car and maintain their hobbies.


Health

  • 100% say their therapy partly or fully keeps their joints flexible
  • 95% say their therapy partly or fully maintains their muscle strength
  • 83% say their therapy partly or fully keeps them walking
  • 48% say their therapy helps them stay in work (although 48% responded n/a)
  • 52% responded that their therapy partly or fully keeps them out of hospital (the other 48% responded N/A)
  • 59% said that their therapy partly or fully reduces/prevents them from having falls (14% not achieved, 16% n/a)
  • 74% said their therapy partly or fully enables them to manage pain (9% not achieved, 16% n/a)


94% said the MD Support Centre slows or prevents deterioration of their condition


Healthcare

  • Only 10% of those surveyed had unplanned hospital admissions in the last 12 months
  • 75% of those who received our physiotherapy when they had acute or urgent issues said this avoided a trip to their GP/ hospital/ other NHS department

When asked ‘Which professional do you feel plays the primary role in helping you manage your condition?’ 67% responded ‘an MD Support Centre therapist’


Friends and family test-
100% of respondents would be likely or extremely likely to recommend us to friends and family if they needed similar treatment

What we could change- we received feedback on three issues- distance people had to travel to the centre, problems with parking/ accessibility of the car park at the Centre and availability of appointments. We will take these concerns on board and are working to address them.

Service User Comments Our final question asked for any other comments, and we received some wonderful responses- here are a few:

Gave much more confidence in myself. Lovely people, amazing work, makes so much difference to people’s lives.

 

Amazing professional physiotherapists that deserve even greater recognition!

 

I think that the service and staff are outstanding.

 

Really useful to have consistency of care, and see therapists who know about my condition.

 

You all do a fantastic job, from the moment you work through the doors you are made to feel welcome. keep up the fantastic work you do. THANK YOU!